- The name “vulture” derived from the Latin word vulturus which means “tearer”, referring to how it tears meat.
- In ancient Egypt vultures were used as a symbol of femininity
- In Germany, police have trained Turkey vultures to help them find missing people.
- In Africa vultures were hunted for Muti. A vulture Head was supposed to bestow wisdom and far sight on its wearer.
- Vultures in south Asia, specifically India and Nepal almost died out completely due to the veterinary drug Diclofenac in animal carcasses. It has taken considerable effort and the banning of the drug by the government to help in saving them.